Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A BIG Announcement!

It's an exciting time!  Spring is finally upon us.  The days are getting longer and the air is warmer.

It's the time of year that makes gardeners go craZy!!!

I have been thinking about the posts I should be posting.   I would have already started my seedlings in egg cartons.  I would be booking the roto-tiller from our local equipment outfit.

I would be grinning from ear to ear but it's springtime and I'm a little bit sad this year.

(And that's when I finally segway into the BIG announcement.)

We have made the decision to move...


It's the first house we bought as a family. 
It's the only house my wee son Owen has ever known.

But the truth of the matter is we have an opportunity to get a patch of land further into the country side.  (Even away from town life.)

We are approved to purchase my sister-in-law's home in the Desert Lake area.

It has a promising property that is begging to be explored!!!

It comes complete with frog pond...


It already has a garden roughed in!  (The big "bush" in the middle is concord grapes!!!  they stand as tall as a 6' man!)



There is already composting facilities...which we'll need to clean up.


There is a fenced area that used to be home to chickens.  PERFECT!  We were already wondering where to put the chickens!!!  The fencing just needs some love.


We have a small dock that gives access to Holleford Creek that runs into Holleford Lake!  It is a wonderfully under-fished lake!!!  When I took this pic it was 1pm one day and all I could hear was the thundering sound of frogs...


The back of the property features nice standing woods and a firepit area.  We'll be able to camp out in our own backyard and forage beyond the trees! 


I was standing in the yard....absorbing all the wonderous nature...when I got caught guard, drifting off thinking about chickens...I HEARD a chicken!

Turns out it was the "chicken of the woods" a ringed neck pheasant.  The beautifully coloured male and a brown coloured female close behind.


I can't tell you how excited I am for the move.   All we have to do is sell our home and move into this natural paradise.  I will be sad for our old home.  It gave us great memories.

What makes me even sadder is that I may not get a garden in this year.  Not knowing when our closing date is, its hard to plan out what your doing too far in advance.  You all can look forward to more posts about gardening and foraging...just in a limited fashion until we sort out what's happening on the home front.

And of course we'll stil be cooking until then...so the recipes will stil be coming!

This new adventure with our family will start off a brand new series of posts about starting a garden from scratch.  I'll also document how the grounds transform over time and with great care for the environment.

Stay tuned!

1 comment: