Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Ode to Eggs...

So we are decided.

We're going to be chicken farmers.

It was something that my husband and I have talked about for some time.
Now we are in a property that would allow us to actually have poultry
and not disturb our neighbours or break any by-laws.

The property we bought in May has a fenced in area.

Some of you may remember it from my post breaking the news about the new place.



Its been a few months and we really neglected this particular corner.
We had other things going on.


I finally took a crack at it with the lawnmower.
That is saying a lot when you consider wild black raspberry canes and goldenrod had taken over the entire place, standing about waist high!


The entirely fenced space is just perfect now!


I even found an old sink (that matches our clawfoot tub used for gardening) buried!


One of the previous owners apparently had rabbits.
The old structures are still present.
Old and dilapitated.
Rotting and foul.


The fencing needs some attention.


In some areas, the nearby trees have grown right around the fence!

Our plan is to research all winter about what kinds of chickens, what housing is needed, how to design it and built it.  We will be saving all winter to be able to feed these animals and what will be required for care.
There is a nice introductory chapter in The Backyard Homestead about chickens along with a simple design for a coop.  Fingers crossed and come next year we'll finally be protein producers!

So this recipe post is in honour of people who raise their own chickens!!!

Here's to years of omlettes and quiches!
Here's to roasten chickens all winter long!

After all that mowing, I was tired, sweaty and hungry.


I made a quick salad and ate it on the back porch, observing all that I had done.
Feeling quite proud of the progress I had made.
Next step will be to have the husband clear out the dead trees and chop them up for winter wood burning in our fireplace.

For the salad, I mixed up some baby spinach, boston lettuce (that a friend gave us), baby pear tomatoes (from nana), some white onion and cucumbers.  I hard boiled an egg and sliced it up fine.  I also made a quick mustard vinegrette.

Dijon Mustard Vinegrette:

glob of oil
splat of white vinegar
a few drops of lemon juice
squirt of grainy dijon mustard
1 small pressed clove of garlic
fresh ground salt & black pepper

Substitutions:

- If you use dandelion greens or garlic mustard greens, omit the black pepper and lessen the dijon mustard
-If you use purslane, add more lemon juice
-you can also add chopped up bacon or ham



And don't forget to check out my all my recipes on facebook...I've been posting them there all summer long...

My facebook page:


My facebook group:

No comments:

Post a Comment