Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Wonderous White Corn...

We have grown corn for many years.
You might think that makes us experts on corn.
That our corn grows better somehow.

I smile when I hear stuff like that...
Largely because I know that we fail most years at the corn thing.

Doesn't matter where we plant or what we plant...
We suck at corn.

Each year I mainly grow it because I like looking at it.
I also like having free fall decorations...once I've given up and dried the stalks...
Plus, I'm generally an optimist.
I 'think' every year will be different.
Perhaps the 'right' season will come.
The truth is I don't really research how to grow what we grow all that much, 
but I'm sure there is missing something.
The point of all of this, is that this is what our ears normally look like...


Teeny, tiny, wee, little ears...


In my small hand...you can count a handful of kernels...
but you wouldn't ask me to serve you up an ear or two.


Now when faced with a load of wee little corn ears, you might ask...what is a girl to do?
Well, I'm not one for wasting anything!
So while I was happy to have all of these wee corn husks in my compost,
I was actually happier thinking about treasure hunting for actual kernels to save.

It wasn't a bad haul...just labour-intensive.
In the end, I had enough for large freezer bag of white corn kernels for the freezer...
as well as enough to make these jalapeno corn fritters!


While I normally don't subscribe to deep frying as a regular cooking method...
I couldn't resist these puppies!!!!

Here is the original recipe found in the Walmart Live Better magazine:

Whirl one 341 ml can of corn (I used fresh here...obviously), drained,
with /2 onion and 1 jalapeno (both from our garden), seeded, in a food processor.
Add 1 egg (from our girls), 1/4 cup cornmeal, 2 tbsp flour and 1/4 tsp salt.
Whirl until mixed.
Let stand for 20 mins.
Heat enough oil to reach 1 in in a medium frying pan over med-high heat.
Scoop 1/4 cup portions into oil.
Fry until golden, about 2 mins each side.
Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
Serve warm.


I served these delicious fritters along with another homemade burger patty.
This time the burger was garnished with homemade relish, bacon and a slice of lemon boy tomato.
The fritters are topped with a bit of mayo and parsley.
While cooking these fritters...I couldn't escape the smell.
The aroma was like a carnival...or a savory donut shop.
THEY WERE GREAT!
Again, not being a fan of deep frying...this will be a special occasion dish.



How do you keep your harvest?



No comments:

Post a Comment