Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Year in Review 2014


2014 was a great year for us and our garden!
Seriously.
I know everyone seemed to be grumbling about all of that rain.
And we had a LOT of rain.

Going into this year was a bit of a worry.
We had doubled our garden size from last year.
I was afraid the weeds would take over.
I worried that I wouldn't have the time to do all that must be done.

SPRING

original garden area - 2012

Doubling the garden - early spring

We worked very hard all spring.
We made 14 slightly raised beds to contain our rows.
That turned out to be brilliant!
It kept the veggies out of the water.
The walkways in between the rows collected all of the excess water.
Plus the walkways were wide enough to mow!
EASY!

spring garden - all planted and ready to grow

Turns out, I had nothing to worry about.
I was so busy with the garden that I forgot to take a summer time photo!

beans
peas


winter squash

So there were a few shots I got of some of the veggies when they were growing.

early fall

By fall, we were exhausted but exhilarated.
We had put so much food away...while also eating the freshest foods all summer long.

November
We prepped the beds in the fall to prepare the soil for next year.
We have a couple of people who supply us with food waste for composting.
But we really love the fella who brings us leaves.
He drops them right off at our door!!!
(we just have to return the paper leaf bags)
We spread leaves on each bed, as well as creating a couple of new beds at the end.
At this point, I have no idea how many beds we'll have next year.
I'll have to let ya know...haha. 

next day in November

Winter came early this year.
So here is our sleepy garden patch.
Patiently awaiting next year...to be awesome!
We already have 100 garlic cloves planted and asparagus will be in its second year...
so close...


How was your year?



No comments:

Post a Comment